- Many people
don't realize that at one time, most "U.S. Navy Ships"
- issued their own matchcovers, each with the
ship's name, usually the
- ID number, and, often, ship's logo. Within
the hobby, they're divided
- into Pre-War (prior to September 2, 1945)
and Post-War (after
- September 2, 1945). Identifying covers were
suspended during the
- war years.
- This is a great category that many aspire
to, but in which few succeed.
- One collector quipped, "The first thousand
covers are fairly easy; it's
- the rest that are murder!" Collectors
have spent lifetimes in the quest of
- Navy Ship covers, but what a grand quest
it is. Over 2,700 are known
- ...and previously unknown issues are still