- Of course, the
U.S. hasn't been the only country manufacturing
- matches, although no other country can boast
the same variety
- and inventiveness. The category of "Foreign"
takes in everything
- that is not North American. Collectors soon
learn that the world
- has traditionally been split on what is available.
- Western industrialized world produces matchbooks
- and Asia produce matchboxes with removable
labels (as opposed
- to Western boxes, which have the advertising
printed directly on
- them). Thus, in much of the rest of the world,
- collecting substitutes for match"cover"
- Foreign covers are often exotic and fascinating,
- can read them! There are, no doubt, hundreds
- available. Foreign Cigarette, Airline, Shipline,
and Girlie issues are
- especially popular here.